Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ready, Set, Blog!

Happy New Year!

So up to now Tom and I have been a terrible bloggers. I just can't seem to get into this writing thing. But I can't say that's really much of a surprise. I was always that girl who loves getting new journals/diaries/notebooks but then never wrote much in them and they just sat on my shelf looking pretty but mostly just collecting dust. However, since sharing the PC experience is part of PC's 3rd goal I am going to try and remedy the situation. I am going to try to write one blog post per week with pictures. The pictures may not relate to the post but whatever, everybody likes pictures so yeah...

I arrived in JA the first time in March of last year with everyone else. It was a whirl wind first 3 weeks. Training in Hellshire was a great introduction to Jamaica and its culture. Our host parents Barbra Reid and Peter Wanliss are wonderful people who made us so comfortable and taught us much. Big Ups to all the staff and PC Volunteer Leaders (3rd year extension volunteers) as well, including but not limited to Ann, Joan, Aieka, Tia, Adam, Taylor, Jason, Anika, and Dan! In the first 3 weeks we learned all about PC policies and had lots of language and cultural sensitivity training, safety and security training and started to scratch the surface of our sector training. It was exhausting! But we also did fun things like visit the National Art Museum, the University of the West Indies, Port Royal, and of course had our first JA beach experience at Hellshire Beach.

Then as the story goes...The last morning of training in Hellshire a group of us went down to the football (soccer) pitch and while playing a friendly 3 on 3 game I snapped my Achilles. I spent 4 more days on island and then was on MediVac in WA DC until May and was finally MedSept to Montana (home) until September 9 when I returned to JamRock for the long haul!

So I have been back 4 months now... and I'm not gonna lie, it's weird. Not bad-weird but very different-weird. For some reason I thought it wouldn't be that different. That may be because my initial experience in JA was in an area that wasn't that different. Kingston is very similar to big cities in the states. But I don't live in or near Kingston and I've never actually lived anywhere but the USA, specifically the NW of the USA and this week I am missing it a lot! Everyone says its normal but its strange to be behind everyone else with all the emotional stages. It makes me feel very isolated at times. I am missing a ton of stuff right now.

Such as (and some of it may seem very lame):

*Driving! (I truly disdain being dependent upon others to go places)
*Listening to NPR/music radio while driving
*Fixed orientation to TIME. (ie- early=on time; on time=late; and late=unacceptable)
*The ability to purchase delicious dark chocolate, almonds, and apples (they are here but we can't really afford them).
*Our dog, Abby (Spot (our pup here) is great but he isn't Abby)
*Coffee stands and easy access to a piping hot or iced americano with cream.
*Dark chocolate dipped peanut butter cookies from the Good Food Store/Bernice's Bakery
*Prosciutto and fig pizza from Biga Pizza
*Being able to call my mom and dad, and any of my friends who only have cell phones (like most of the world) whenever I want without it running up their phone bills (damn Verizon for charging them to receive international calls, grrrr!)
*Real furniture. I soooo miss couches and recliners.
*Bath towels fresh from the dryer, all soft and fluffy.
*Smell of snow in winter and fresh cut grass in spring
*All baked goods! Especially those from Bernice's Bakery and Rosauers in Missoula.
*Teaching for MNHC. You'll always have a piece of my heart and are definitely my dream job. I may come back and camp on you're nice new stoop until you hire me. ;)
*Being able to identify most of the plants and wildlife I see when I take a hike through the woods.

Oy! I could go on but it's getting laborious. That's all for now...but don't worry I remembered. Pictures!


Meet Jack aka Scar Face. Spot doesn't beg but the cat sure learned quick.


Tom giving in to the Jack's begging and letting him nibble a chicken bone.


Tom and Jack, likkle blurry but still fun.

Much Love,

Chelsea











1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, Chelsea, it will get better...then you will miss things again...then it will get better...and then you will miss things again...and then it will get better... I've been up and down on the cycle a few times now. Heck, Linnae and I are watching the Homeland series and as much as I don't like concrete jungles, I'm like, "I could totally live in DC right now."

    ReplyDelete